. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Saturday, July 07, 2007
Toothpaste returns

Update: It suddenly occurs to me that Oxendine may have named me because he thought I was anonymous, and that "revealing" my identity as a losing candidate would somehow shatter my credibility. In which case, not only did his ASUC source fuck him over, but he further demonstrates his own lack of credibility as someone who knows what he's talking about when he talks.


Butch Oxendine is teh angri3s. He insists he does real, effective leadership work for student governments. Quotes from comments:
Our national organization, ASGA, is changing how student governments operate, helping them grow and improve.
and
25 YEARS of SERVICE to nearly higher education institutions.... Our work changes people's lives for the better and we make a difference in tangible ways...
He then accuses me, by name, of
cliche comments from a frustrated losing candidate.
Now, a guy who just wrote those quotes above accusing someone of cliche comments is itself pretty funny. Since he's referring to me by name, we also know that ASUC folks, probably in Student Action, are actually talking to him about me, which is hilarious on many levels.

The idea that I'm a frustrated losing candidate is also pretty funny, because it not only illustrates his ignorance, it's illuminating for the folks who are talking to him. I wonder if Student Action actually believes that, or just left out the obvious. Perhaps he should check out my Voters Guide statements (PDF) and come to his own conclusions about how desperately I was trying to win. (Also, I didn't vote for me.)

Since he's the defensive type, I was sort of hoping he'd comment on this post with even more cliches, but he found this site by Googling his name, and I left it off. Maybe I'll add it.

Finally, getting into a "look what I accomplished" war with an old guy is sort of silly. But if he insists, I won't hesitate to claim significant credit for helping to head off SB51 last fall, the effort by Student Action to use $22,679 in student funds to pay itself off. If Butch wants to consider himself informed enough to comment on Cal affairs, he might investigate that by asking more folks than just Student Action tools. Speaking of being informed, I'll also claim credit for being the only news source which gives significant in-depth coverage of the ASUC. All this by being an "outsider 'gadfly,'" because the insiders, whose job includes keeping students informed, fail every single week.

But we've now discovered that Butch Oxendine, of the American Student Government Association (or ASGA), will try to belittle his critics in student governments without informing himself about the issues but merely listening to one power group. When he actually does all that "life-changing" consulting work, does he have the same narrow vision?

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 7/07/2007 01:14:00 PM #
Comments (3)
. . .
Comments:
Usually when people are trying to sell their services to skeptics, they will give specifics on what exactly they will do.

Personally I have already have faith in the new leadership of the association. Apparently SA doesn't share my feelings.
 
You are right on about this guy. He's been fooling people into being an expert for years. We were looking at him one time, as he was trying to get some crazy consulting fees, and found out HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISH COLLEGE. He dropped out of Florida probably because he was "too good" and I don't even remember if he got his Associates degree. He basically gives some babble about "he could do better working" but going to college is about thinking, he was too good and gave up. He even dropped his rate big time to basically cut us a break. He's a total hack, speaks as an expert, but has never produced any scientific research; just anecdotal. Thank goodness for a skeptic and a good adviser. He was going to fleece us and is one of the most ill-represented "professionals" I ever met. Good call. You got him pinned.
 
Butch Oxendine of ASGA/American Student Government Association didn't finish college!!
 
Post a Comment


. . .