. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Thursday, July 12, 2007
She looks so sad

Does Cindy Sheehan receive training in looking sad?

Folks here know that I hate Sheehan. I despise her. It's not something I do lightly, as despite my disagreements and contempt for most folks, I don't hate them. It isn't about her politics. It's the way she used her son and denied him his very existence as an independent human being. Those who are so quick to destroy any recognition of responsibility on the part of acting parties, like those who deny that anyone could possibly want to commit suicide simply because they lack the mental capacity to understand them, essentially declare us all to be automatons. This, conveniently enough, means that, as they're merely non-thinking reeds in the ocean of life, there is no reason to worry the slightest bit when denying folks freedom, since they don't have it in the first place. Folks saying something other than what they're supposed to say are crazy, and not really expressing themselves, so there's no need to give them "freedom."

This idea doesn't manifest itself so overtly, of course, but we see it every day in "I support freedom of X, but..." statements that folks make so casually. Freedom is restricted only to legitimate activities, after all, and while you have no right to tell people which legitimate activities to engage in, you have all the power in the world to define which activities are legitimate. And your puny mind, incapable of holding a multiplicity of lives at once, determines that legitimate activities are only the ones that you might consider sensible. And so freedom dies, or never really lived in the first place.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 7/12/2007 11:59:00 AM #
Comments (2)
. . .
Comments:
"Folks saying something other than what they're supposed to say are crazy"

Does this not comprise your main focus preferring Republicans over Democrats?
 
Sure, but I don't deny Democrats agency. I don't use "crazy" to mean "not in control of oneself," I use it to mean something to the effect of "acting completely out of proportion to the situation." There's nothing wrong with judging people, but I respond by "I guess I'll vote Republican," not "all Democrats should be sent to the crazy house against their will."
 
Post a Comment


. . .