. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Friday, April 13, 2007
Neato

Yay! A good result from a Judicial Council advisory opinion. If anyone has a copy, shoot it my way.

The obvious point is that ASUC-funded groups cannot campaign in ASUC elections. Of course, the Men's Octet did. And the Academic Affairs Office did. On behalf of Joshua Daniels's fee referendum, by the way, which makes his laudatory comments a bit odd.

I dunno how accurate the TGIF folks are, though, when they say nothing provoked the opinion. Engineers for a Sustainable World's board endorsed the TGIF fee as a board, and they were forced to take that endorsement down. I haven't heard if either group has suffered consequences.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 4/13/2007 12:16:00 AM #
Comments (8)
. . .
Comments:
So ASUC-funded student groups as a whole can't endorse candidates? Makes sense, but I feel like I've seen group endorsements before.
 
People break rules all the time, and Attorney Generals rarely have the fortitude to take them on, even if they had the resources. Especially difficult is the fact that the student groups are the ones that suffer, rather than the candidates, and their funding is threatened. No AG has the balls for that.
 
I think you see a lot of club Presidents endorsing, using their position for "identification purposes only".
 
Try election.asuc.org. I think they have decisions posted there.
 
Even with the disclaimer, these can be seen as tacit endorsements of the group. Group presidents determine the functions of the group, how the budget is spent, etc. Groups who have their president in good favor with the ASUC could certainly benefit come budget time.
-E
EricForPresident.org
 
Just as a heads-up, even if it can be seen as such, such endorsements are explicitly allowed in the By-Laws.
 
yeah absolutely. but that doesn't mean the rule should not be discussed, debated, and possibly changed in the future.
 
I don't agree with Eric that one should muzzle student group presidents' ability to endorse.

Getting back to those "whole group" endorsements I was mentioning, Nadir Shams's Senate Facebook group description has examples of those where endorsements are listed -- not that I want those groups or Shams's campaign to get in trouble, but I figure if I noticed it, other people must have too. I never got any lit from him so don't know if it is on his lit too.
 
Post a Comment


. . .