. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Sunday, November 19, 2006
Taze

So, everyone and their mother is talking about tazers or something. I'm not even going to link anything. If you don't know what I'm talking about, consider yourself blessed.

1. The race angle: My parents are from Iran, as were a lot of their friends, so I knew a lot of folks of Iranian descent. I met a bunch more when I got here. From experience, I can tell you that we Persians are a contentious bunch, and I know I get the urge to tazer my Iranian-American friends more often than, say, my Chinese-American pals. Watch poker on TV sometime, and you might see what I mean. In any case, this dude's problem wasn't his Iranian descent.

2. This dude's problem was that he was a dick (which, as suggested above, may be related to the fact that he's got some Iran in him, but stands alone). As an educational matter, the PATRIOT Act does not address tazering students in libraries. The problem with going with the "fuck the police" strategy is that the police have weapons and will probably fuck you first. While there are times when rolling over and complying with the police because of their power is something to avoid, these cases are for when your rights are being violated or some such. This behavior is not for when you're just being a dick who doesn't want to follow perfectly sensible rules.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 11/19/2006 12:07:00 AM #
Comments (4)
. . .
Comments:
Being tasered five times when he was on his way out, as disruptive as he may have been, is an egregious abuse of power.
 
Sure, why not. I didn't say anything about the details of the case, because I just don't care. I wasn't trying to imply anything beyond the scope of what I wrote.
 
If I'm going to pick a side, it's going to be the Daily Cal because I know I can't lose by saying their coverage of the whole ordeal sucked, sucks, and will continue to suck.

But to avoid long arguments (a la Facebook group for indignated, frustrated, self-righteous people with too much time on their hands): the student was wrong and the cops were wrong. End of story.
 
Ew, I want somebody to be a winner.
 
Post a Comment


. . .