. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Thursday, November 30, 2006
Paragraph of the Day

Thank you, Daily Cal:
"Prop 209 is like the canary in the mineshaft," said William Kidder, senior policy analyst at the UC Davis Office of the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs. "The rate of access for African Americans, American Indians and Latinos at UC is exasperated by Prop 209 but is part of a systematic non-inclusiveness."
Well, let's start from the tail end here. Rates of access do not generally feel emotions and such, but this rate apparently is "exasperated." I wonder A) if the problem is the thing that's being exasperated, and B) if so, how else do problems feel? Would a problem that is easily solved feel useless? Lack self-worth? Perhaps satisfied, knowing that it had done its role?

(Notice: I'm putting the blame on the Daily Cal here, either for a transcriptional error or a failure to ask the dude "what the fuck did you just say?")

But let's back up to the first part of this. "The canary in the mineshaft"? I'm no miner, but my understanding of such things is that miners would carry canaries with them when exploring tunnels or some such, and when the canary falls over dead, that means they've hit some poisonous gas and should get the hell out of there. (Anyone with mining experience can clarify this)

So, with this is mind... how is Prop 209 the canary in the mineshaft?

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 11/30/2006 02:36:00 PM #
Comments (2)
. . .
Comments:
This problem could have been avoided if they'd hired me for the copy editing position I was obviously born for.

Note to the Daily Cal's copy editors: This is why it's sometimes necessary to clean up quotes. The word isn't exasperated, but exacerbated.

Having been a reporter, asking "What the fuck did you just say?" is a crucial part of the job. The Daily Cal didn't do theirs, but then again, that's not news.
 
All of this talk about Prop 209 exaspirates me. This is a policy that's been gone for ten years, yet it's supposed to be a "canary in a mineshaft"? If so, the canary's been dead for an awful long time. It is no more. It has ceased to be.

To me, the lack of admissions of minorities would be a better pedagogical "canary" in itself. It's a symptom of larger problems -- the failure of the K-12 educational system in California (and the U.S.), and the persistant economic inequality. And if you want affirmative action, you'd just assume cover up these underlying issues instead of taking them on.

On a side note, in defense of the good people of UC Davis: I teach two discussion sections for the Social Problems class, and no one among the 50 students in my classes wanted to defend affirmative action. Everyone, black or white, liberal or conservative, felt that we should be eliminating inequalities in the system, not allowing them to persist.

This kind of dissappointed me in a way, because I had been fired from UCSA due to my opposition of affirmative action. Everyone knows that UCSA supports affirmative action, except apparently me; I wanted to have an actual debate on the merits of the issue. Sadly, they didn't give me that chance before recalling me, and my students in discussion all agreed with me. I feel cheated out of my debate. I guess it serves me right for trying to represent the 200,000 students of the UC System instead of trying to represent UCSA.
 
Post a Comment


. . .