. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, November 20, 2006
Oh, right, the clog

I dunno if I've given it enough time, but I guess I'm ready to issue the Pronouncement of Beetle on the topic of the Daily Cal blog.

Sorry, try again.

One doesn't run a blog for the sake of having a blog. You need to do something with it. Try as I might, I just don't see the point of the Daily Clog.

If we wanted occasional articles that we could read and then perhaps send an opinion via mail in the hopes that it might be published, we'd read a newspaper. A blog that serves exactly the same purpose doesn't add anything.

It doesn't create a responsive community. Not only are there no comments, there's no blogroll. And it's not like they haven't gotten around to it yet. They have an offsite blogroll. It still reeks of the "gatekeeper" role that newspapers like to play. (That is, "We'll look at what's going on, but then tell you only what we consider important, and you'll never see the rest.")

This kind of thing is why I don't approve of blogs attached to newspapers. They almost never "get" it. I was hesitant about the Patriot blog when it was first introduced for the same reason, but Pat did get it and realized that a blog is not a newspaper column published in online form. Right now, what I see at the Clog is "the leftovers from a newspaper making the lame jokes and comments that weren't fit for print."

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 11/20/2006 10:58:00 PM #
Comments (1)
. . .
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment


. . .