. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006
I voted *sticker*

Apparently, voting was not up and running on time, according to Donald. I believe the system is up now, since I saw folks voting at the polling stations, and I just voted from the comfort of my own home. (Update: See comment for details)

The wording of the RSF Referendum on the ballot was as follows:

A mandatory student fee of $40, (beginning Fall Semester 2006 and increasing in increments over the next ten years, up to $55; see the ASUC Voter's Guide) has been proposed that will allow RSF fees to be incorporated into student financial aid need assessments. This will result in RSF membership fees to now be $10 and is in addition to a $28.50 current mandatory student fee per semester towards the original construction of the RSF; Do you approve of this additional fee?

Note the semicolon-capitalization combo. The Judicial Council ruled that the Senate's intent was to put the question as above on the ballot. The above question really pushes the "two sentence" concept. It's still three sentences, it just has a punctuation error.

In any case, after voting and looking over my ballot, I realized that almost every one of my candidate votes was a protest vote. I was even voting for Andy Ratto. I guess I'm just disgruntled.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 4/25/2006 11:23:00 AM #
Comments (3)
. . .
Comments:
As I just posted on CalStuff, it was fixed by 9:30, though some polling stations were still down by 10 (because elections officials had to go to each station to play with every computer and reboot), or so the walkie talkie would have me believe. My location was up by 9:40. And online voting worked the whole time, so it was a networking or intranet problem I suppose.
 
You're right, the semicolon is bad punctuation. If anything, they should have a semicolon between "assessments" and "this".

Oh well.

I still believe the RSF referendum can and will be voted down! I have hope!
 
Actually, Manny argued that a reason for his executive order, which tried to put a hyphen where you suggested, was for gramatical correctness. I argued that the President was not proofreader-in-chief.

Ultimately, the Judicial Council tossed it out not because he was stepping on legislative authority, but because he was stepping on judicial authority (and because he hadn't shown necessity)
 
Post a Comment


. . .