. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Friday, April 21, 2006
Elections Forum Report/Endorsements

Well, it looks like I barely needed my form. Student Action did not show up. Apparently, Student Action sued because the Elections Council, which was co-sponsoring, was too partisan or something. The Elections Council withdrew from sponsorship, then, to settle the suit, but Student Action already wasn't showing up. Approximately. I didn't quite understand all the details from Adeel Iqbal (Daily Cal EIC). But, as SAO candidate Simon Gunz said: "What a bunch of pussies."

Still, the consequence is that we had all third parties, since CalSERVE isn't running a slate. Andy Ratto isn't campaigning, so he wasn't there, either. I saw Alex scribbling notes like mad, so I'm sure he'll be saying something about the more substantive stuff. I'll attest that it's somewhat fun, because of the SQUELCH!ers. The jokes can't really be described, so I guess you just missed out on them if you weren't there. Or, if you were there, but just left after your speech, as many people did, you also missed out. Note, however, that Ben Narodick and Lauren Karasek, candidates for Executive Vice President and President, are serious candidates, despite being part of SQUELCH! Anyway, on to the office-by-office review:

Student Advocate:

The only serious candidate here is Andrew Garvin, who didn't show up, and instead sent a placeholder, whose name I didn't catch. Not that it matters, of course, since he's running unopposed. Sure, vote for him, what do I care?

Academic Affairs VP:

SQUELCH!er John O'Conner was the only speaker. He wants us to cash in on tobacco money like we did with Coke. He was joking, I guess, but I actually think it's a good idea. Still, since he's not really a serious candidate, the winner here is going to be Joyce Liou. In protest, however, I will still endorse John O'Conner for the position.

External Affairs VP:

Alejandra Cruz was represented by Yvette Felarca. One of the questions asked was "How many City Council/Regents meetings have you gone to," and Felarca started bragging about all the ones she had attended. Then a thought struck her. "Oh, Ali!" She suddenly realized she was a delegate, and quickly mentioned something about Cruz going to some meetings. I guess old habits die hard.

Igor had a lot of goals. I don't know how successful he could be. Still, since SA chickened out, and Igor actually has real goals, Igor Tregub has my endorsement.

Executive VP:

Ben Narodick may be a SQUELCH!er, but as he says, two years of the ASUC has sucked the funny right out of him, so he is a serious candidate. He is undeniably the best candidate for the position. He is very clear that he wants the executive offices to stop putting on programming, and instead providing that money to student groups to do the programming instead. This is an actual goal, which blows Vishal Gupta out of the water. There is no doubt that Ben Narodick is the best candidate.

President:

Lauren Karasek is running SQUELCH! because, as she puts it, her party will never slate a woman for president. Still, she's a serious candidate, and shares many of the same goals as Ben, particularly reducing executive programming and instead increasing funds for student groups. Who knows what Oren Gabriel thinks. So, again, the endorsement goes to Lauren Karasek.

SQUELCH! is running serious candidates for President and Executive Vice President this year, and they have a serious goal: To reduce executive programming, where executives put on programs so that their party can take credit for them. This will free up more money for student groups by limiting executive budgets. This is a real goal, which has concrete and feasible implementation. Please, vote for Ben Narodick and Lauren Karasek for Executive Vice President and President.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 4/21/2006 09:50:00 PM #
Comments (6)
. . .
Comments:
Wow, this seems like a totally ridiculous move by Student Action not to go to the forum. But I guess they're going to win anyway.

Since there are no CalSERVE exec candidates, I might actually vote the way you want on the execs.

How were presentations on the referenda?
 
Oh, the NO side was really good, and the YES side sucked!!! But you probably knew I was going to say that.

I didn't really try for the GA referendum, because I hate speaking. Most people voting on it will have no idea what it is. Hopefully, people not understanding it will vote no, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Alex did an exceptional job opposing the RSF fee, but I guess I'm biased.
 
So I was gonna go to the forum and everything, but I got drunk instead. Chalk up two more votes for Ben and Lauren. Here here.
 
I don't see why you couldn't have done both.
 
I've heard that SQUELCH! candidate John Waste has some pretty good ideas, despite running only a semi-serious campaign.
 
You're shorter than I expected. Also I thought you were asian. Wait, can both those things be true? Did I expect a 6 foot 4 asian man?

Anyway, big boo on Student Action. They claim it's because the Daily Cal is partisan so it shouldn't be allowed to hold an officially sanctioned election event or something, but really it's because they've got the election in the bag and they know the daily cal doesn't like them and their complete lack of, oh, I dunno, actual policies or ideas.

Basically it's an attempt to make the daily cal endorsements completely toothless because SA can always just say "Well no one was even there."
They're able to do it because without Cal Serve, they're basically running a perfunctory, issue-less campaign based solely on "We are student action. We like Gelatos."

I was never a huge fan of Cal Serve because I thought their reliance on having a senate candidate from every possible minority group was a little creepy, but I sure miss them now with Student Action just running around not having to debate a single issue or change a single mind.

As Ben said at the forum, the idea that the SQUELCH! party is the only serious alternative is just sad. Here's hoping Ben wins so Student Action at least feels some pressure to actually cammpaign on issues next year.
 
Post a Comment


. . .