. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Saturday, March 04, 2006
Review!

I just listened to Alex Marlow's podcast on Patriot Radio. Here's my review:

Summary: Meh

Now, it's a first show, so I guess you might expect a "meh" review. My criticisms are as follows:

1) Shallow: The complaints were kind of shallow. Like "Oh, look, UC folks donate a lot more to Democrats than Republicans" or "There are liberals on campus!!!" What I wanted to hear was some deeper complaining which really got at the question of "why should we care?" or "what's the harm?"

2) Um: A lot of 'Um.'

3) Imprecise speaking: Some statistics were rather oddly quoted because Alex spoke a lot like most of us do: Not with great precision. For instance, "What proportion of taxes does the top 1% of the population pay" could easily mean "what percentage of their income do they pay in taxes" rather than "what portion of the total tax revenue of the country comes from the top 1%." The statement that "UC Berkeley was the second-largest donator to John Kerry" bordered on libellous, as it didn't make clear that we were talking about the people affiliated with the institution.

4) Localized outrage: A lot of the outrage Alex had towards certain things seemed misplaced and unexplained. When explaining outrage to an audience, you can't simply assume that your audience is outraged by the same things as you are (Well, you can if you're into choir-preaching), and I felt that Alex did a poor job of making his outrage accessible to those who didn't already feel as he did.

5) Bland: Honestly, I was kind of bored by it. In fairness, this may be because I'd heard all of it before from his blog, or the Patriot's blog.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 3/04/2006 06:41:00 PM #
Comments (1)
. . .
Comments:
Hey Beetle,

I really appreciate your comments and I would be interested in discussing them more with you, perhaps one on one, but for the sake of the blog, I want to address the comments individually and offer clarification when needed.

Numbered based on Beetle’s comments:

1) This is a fair criticism and when I am not just doing an overview and I have an entire show (or at least multiple segments) dedicated to one topic, I intend on going a lot deeper. The show was very long as it was, but those elements were missing and should have been in there.

2) I did say "um" way too much; this can be fixed with rehearsal and experience.

3) Radio will not be as precise as printed media and pinpointing semantics around every detail is unrealistic, but it is still fair to point out that I should put in a better effort on that front. Hopefully people interpreted that comment as meaning "what portion of the total tax revenue of the country comes from the top 1%." I clarified that statement later on in the segment when I said “the top 1% of the income earners pay 35% of the taxes.” Bye the way, having worked in radio, I know that hosts aren’t sitting in the studio eyeing perfect statistics as if they were writing a book, are in a formal debate, or conducting a survey.

4) I acknowledged what this audience would be: Conservatives. This is the first show and the only advertising we did was through the Patriot Blog, our two blogs, and Kyle Tibbitts’ My Space profile; that’s it. I intended on drumming up support from my base, which is intelligent conservatives on campus who would see eye to eye with me on the issues I brought up. As our listener base grows, I won't be preaching to the choir. In fact, I hate that. Although I had conservative in mind when recording, I felt like a substantial portion of the show did transcend partisan lines anyway.

5) I am sorry you felt that way.

Still, the fact that you held me to such a high standard on my first show shows respect, and I am grateful for it.

-Alex Marlow
 
Post a Comment


. . .