. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Scriminaded!

I forgot to mention this. There was a Daily Cal article on it but (sit down for what I'm about to say) the Daily Cal website appears to be down. Blah blah discrimination blah. I don't know anything about the accuracy of these claims, as I've never been to Spenger's Fresh Fish. I wasn't aware it existed, actually.

To illustrate the prejudicial attitude, the complaint alleges that at a management meeting in November 2004, the company’s vice president "specified the kind of people corporate wanted in the front of the restaurant are 'bubbly blondes with long legs.'"

This was pretty surprising. Not in that that's what the management wanted, because that's the way most restaurants work. I was surprised that this was one of the complaints. I guess you could argue that the term "blonde" implies white, but they could just as well have been referring to the stereotype, and said "we want pretty chicks who are stupidly chatty all the time," which isn't anything unusual. I guess you could also argue that it was discriminatory against ugly people, but a lot of places are.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 2/28/2006 12:22:00 PM #
Comments (1)
. . .
Comments:
You should see the Gaslamp district in San Diego, at around lunch time. All these restaurants put little stands out front. The stands all have menus and so forth, and each stand has an attractive woman who tries to lure in customers. (Attractive women of varied ethnic backgrounds, but all women nonetheless, last time I was through there.)

It's basic marketing: put the hot chicks up front. (like beer ads or something)
 
Post a Comment


. . .