. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Friday, January 13, 2006
Woo! Vacation over!

Okay, I'm back from a delightful vacation of doing as little as humanly possible (the best kind), and to bring me back is, impossibly, stupid statements by liberal activists. Shocking, I know.

BART has apparently put up paid anti-abortion ads. The rest is all downhill.

"I think every woman has noticed them," said Suzanne "Sam" Joi, a member of Code Pink, a social justice and anti-war group. "I couldn't believe BART would allow something like this. Why are they doing this?"

God forbid BART allow people who disagree with me buy ad space. And we haven't even gotten to the fact that BART is a government agency so it can't discriminate based on viewpoint. I wonder if she feels the same way about anti-war ads...

By the way, if you read the descriptions, they aren't all that horrendous. This isn't dead-fetus-picture-waving. It's trying to convince people that fetuses are people too.

Abortion-rights activists are responding differently, calling the ads misleading, manipulative and part of an effort to undermine the pro-choice movement in the Bay Area.

Um... yeah, that is what they're for. Much like the anti-war stuff is an effort to undermine the pro-war actions, or union ads are an effort to undermine attempts to harm the union, or all viewpoint ads are efforts to undermine opposing viewpoints. By the way, it's also like how the activists' bitching is an effort to undermine the anti-abortion movement in the Bay Area. But I think the idea that this is some kind of argument worth reporting says more about Michael Cabanatuan than it does about anyone else.

"They're calling for the overturn of Roe vs. Wade, which will lead to the slaughter of women," said Elizabeth Creely of the Bay Area Coalition for Our Reproductive Rights, referring to fears of unsafe, back-alley abortions if the procedure were illegal.

But it's the anti-abortion ads that are misleading and manipulative.

Note: I should mention that the IndyBay folks feel that some anti-war ads were unfairly rejected. I don't know which ads these were, or why they were rejected, so I can't comment. If someone can point me to these ads, please do.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 1/13/2006 12:22:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .