. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Friday, January 27, 2006
Piddlebricks

Dumbness on the op-ed page abounds. Unfortunately, the DC website is in the condition the DC website is usually in.

The cartoon is pretty fucking stupid. It's about government asking to "talk" to people for saying the wrong things. The thing listed for 2006, "You Googled Michael Moore," of course, is nonsense, which sort of makes the eating-Korean-food thing for 2030 pretty stupid. The key to political humor is to make an extrapolation of something that actually happens to the absurd.

Igor Tregub has one of the lamest resignation op-eds I've ever seen, and resignation op-eds are always stupid. It's the unnecessarily long words and "sophisticated" speak that got me. The first paragraph, for example:

When in the course of personal events, it becomes necessary to retain a sense of propriety, one is compelled to make heretofore unthinkable decisions.

This differs greatly from a comment like "Sometimes things happen that make us change our mind." I just can't tell you how.

In a twist, instead of quitting because he didn't get slated, he quit because he's bitter about not getting slated, much like a spurned dude might say "we can't be friends... it's not because you rejected me, it's because I don't think I can act friendly anymore... you know, it's not you, it's me." After reading this piece, I'm glad he didn't get slated, though before this I would've supported it.

Update: Igor has some stuff to add in comments. See here. It doesn't change a whole lot, but it does put the "199% is a defecit" comment in a context that makes sense.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 1/27/2006 02:31:00 PM #
Comments (2)
. . .
Comments:
Dear "Beetle,"

You are completely right to feel this way in light of the way the editorial came across and the note on which it ended. For some lame reason, I sent the DC what I thought was the final version but in fact wasn't, and the final 3 paragraphs were left off. You may find them as worthy of ridicule, but as someone who commented on my op-ed, I felt you should know the rest of the story.

Here's the part that got cut off:

"Seriously considering does not, however, amount to leaving. One final calculation served as the catalyst that tipped the scales – the calculation of the worth of my integrity. I knew that, however torturous the battle I could wage to turn back the clock, my decay as an elected official was inevitable. Even if this downward slide were as impalpable as a reduction of my weekly bill output from three to two, the ramifications thereof would conflict with the rigorous standards I had set out for myself when I first ascended to Senate. 199% effort, in my book of values, is a deficit. My resignation was hence a prudentialist calculation intended to bring a fresh new face into the Senate in my stead and to leave the Association with a clean bill of health.



Remaining a member of the Senate would have been the easy way out. Conversely, my decision to resign came at an incalculable personal cost and a still more indescribable loss to all those whom I sought to represent. But it was the only moral decision I was in a position to make; I bade my goodbye with my integrity intact.



I bear no ill will towards anyone in the party. My disagreements are of a political nature and fall short of transcending my personal ties. Neither do I doubt the state of the Association, which resoundingly remains in the stellar hands of the officials whom I leave. Though I am unlikely to ever reenter student politics, I wholeheartedly pledge to continue my advocacy on behalf of my fellow students in a sundry other ways."

-Igor
 
Does he always talk like this?
 
Post a Comment


. . .