. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005
400th trimester abortion

Prop. 73 is that one initiative that'll sort of half-force parents to be sort of informed about their kids having abortions. I hate children, hate teenagers, and like money, so I'll be voting no, but let's see what others say.

Taylor Allbright wants us all to vote on behalf of the dumb teenagers who can't avoid getting pregnant. Because that's what college students do. It's totally our responsibility. Sure thing, Taylor. We're on it.

Sunita Puri writes an op-ed on the topic. While she tries to convince us that we should vote no, all she really convinces me of is that either she doesn't understand what Prop 73 is going to be doing, or doesn't explain it to the people who talk to her. For instance, one of her props says:

It's already hard enough to get an abortion. I don't know what I would do if I knew that I couldn't even be the one to tell my parents, that some doctor was going to do it instead... where does that leave me and my family?

Yeah, you see, the law is going to ban teenagers from telling their parents. Right.

Another of her props makes another point:

I recently worked with a young woman who believed that her physician would have to report her pregnancy to her parents. In an attempt to terminate her pregnancy, she got drunk and had her boyfriend beat her abdominal region until she had a miscarriage. I met her while she was hospitalized for internal bleeding; even then, she feared telling her parents the truth.

Hm... not very subtle. Not only is she ignorant of the law, she didn't even come up with a plan that wouldn't inform her parents anyway.

"If my father knew, he would blame my mother for me being a whore, and she would get in trouble," she told me. "I gotta think about more folks than just myself here."

Couldn't she stop to think about her boyfriend, too? I mean, didn't he get a great deal of shit for this little stunt? Does he not count? Did he want to do it?

Anyway, the more people tell me that passing this proposition will lead to dumb teens killing themselves trying to get an abortion, the more inclined I am to support it. But I'm pretty sure that these stories are more exaggerated than the added cost and reduced abortions that will come with this initiative.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 10/25/2005 12:38:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .