. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Thursday, September 15, 2005
Walk in and take this

Oh, hey, it's that computer.

The laptop was recovered in June after UC police received a tip from a South Carolina man who had purchased the laptop through an online auction, said UC police Lt. Doug Wing.

UC police have arrested and charged San Francisco resident Shuki Alburati on suspicion of possessing stolen property, Wing said.


Wasn't that NC dude also in possession of stolen property?

According to police, the South Carolina man replaced the old hard drive with a new operating system, which is a common practice when individuals purchase used computers.

I dunno. While reformatting the old hard drive and installing a new operating system is a common practice when individuals purchase used computers, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone replacing a hard drive with an operating system. (I'll probably be showing the age of my computer knowledge with this joke:) How does one plug, for instance, an IDE cable into a piece of software? I suppose I can imagine some guy actually installing windows into his computer, to see what's inside, but I'm not sure they can replace the hard drive.

Anyway, I'm curious about how this dude found out. I imagine there was a sticker or something on the computer which identified it as a UC computer, and he didn't notice until after he had already reformatted and such. Still, when selling stolen computers, you'd think the seller would take off the identifier or something.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 9/15/2005 12:20:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .