. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2005
Dude... like... seriously...

Uh...

All of us have been lied to by the president; all of us ought to be at his doorstep demanding straight answers. We all have that right -- she just acted upon it.

says David Wilmore. I'm rather curious about this right. Is there a limit on the amount of on-the-doorstep demanding we each are allowed? If everyone exercised this right, would anything get done? From what authority does this right arise?

If she is able to speak to the president, we'd get a real American asking direct questions and not accepting generic answers about "freedom" and "evildoers."

Riiiiight. Also, the tooth fairy is going to leave me a quarter.

But that's opinion. Let's see what's on the news page:

Joe Garofoli has this front page news to deliver:

Whether one supports Sheehan's position or not, she put the war back on the front pages in the middle of August and brought the war home to suburbia in a way other antiwar organizers hadn't been able to do.

Actually, Chron dude, you choose what goes on your front page. Essentially, you're arguing that Sheehan has been successful at convincing you to do something, but as if you had nothing to do with it.

But the backlash from conservative circles, where public criticism during wartime isn't socially acceptable, intensified this week.

Something tells me Joe doesn't hang out in conservative circles very much. Remember, this is front page news, not opinion.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 8/18/2005 01:56:00 PM #
Comments (1)
. . .
Comments:
Interesting blog...I'll have to find a way to check it out more often. I had a slightly different take on Garofoli's comments though. His point is essentially correct - for some in "mainstream" America and I say that vs. the hot house flower that is the Bay Area, the Sheehan story has brought home the cost of Iraq in a way that continous news on the dead, the high cost, and other stories haven't. The story is simple and immediate - "I'm a mom and I want answers." There is a big chunck of middle America that will connect to this type of story. Hence - its "news worthy." Garofoli also hightlights the fact that most anti-war demonstrators haven't been able to connect with middle America. I read a recent article in a legal rag here in SF about Vietnam war protestors having the same issue. I do like your assessment of the second quoted piece. I don't like "news" that thinks for me.

Since I dont have a Blogger account:

livejournal.com/users/boaltie2004 is my id.

Gov. J
 
Post a Comment


. . .