. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005
Safe!

Wow. Did I say wow? I meant WTFF?

Thanks, UHS. Now our incoming freshmen will be able to learn about alcohol. Because we all know that, if official forces give information about alcohol, young folk who read that information will never put themselves at risk. I wonder if part of our health fee is going towards this...

Anyway, this is apparently required for incoming freshmen (though I'm not sure how they enforce its requirement). I'll be taking it as a public service. So far, I've discovered that it needs Flash Player and doesn't run on my Firefox. Excellent so far.

Update: If anyone reading this is or knows an incoming freshmen, let's see if we can find out how they are enforcing this.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 7/20/2005 06:37:00 PM #
Comments (6)
. . .
Comments:
It says you need 70% to pass the course. Try and aim for a 0. That'll show em.
 
I was considering taking it while drunk.
 
They are requiring it for incoming transfer students as well as freshmen. Despite the fact that I am ten years past legal drinking age, I was required to do it.

-- Old Man Junior
 
Hey, they can't give special treatment. It's actually just a pilot program. Next year, they'll have JaywalkEdu. And man, do they need that around here.
 
Am I late? Damn it all! I apparantly was supposed to complete this exercise by 17 January 2006. 9 February 2006 I received a harassing email informing me that I still haven't completed the course [as if I somehow forgot].

The enforcement mechanism is placement of an 'academic hold' on us, which prevents our registration for additional courses and receiving grades which we have earned. For a while I figured that it wasn't a big deal since I was going to drop out of college following a term filled with nightly drunken blowouts, hookers, and just regular, old fashioned horny coeds... but now I'm somehow on the way to pulling off a 4.0, so I decided to take advantage of the great cultural and educational opportunity presented to me.

Anyway, the answer to your months old query is buried somewhere in that ruthlessly boring mess of a paragraph I just dropped onto your otherwise pristine blog.
 
LOL! Great blog on AlcoholEdu. I'm a forty-something mom who returned to college and discovered the University of Iowa just adopted this course for incoming students. Fortunately, I'm already "in" so I don't have to take this course. However, I went online a found a way to take it anyway, just to see what's going on. It's got some good information but is three times longer than it needs to be--tries to do too much and takes too long. A question was raised here on how do universities enforce taking the course. The U of I blocks you from registering for classes until you complete it. There is no exception based on age. This is an extra burden for working professionals like me who are already trying to squeeze in time to take classes on top of work, family, cooking, laundry, home upkeep and everything else. Grrr. Someone here made an excellent observation: what next? This is a social science exercise designed to forcibly change culture on campuses. Isn't this called propaganda? You bet. While I do NOT drink, I believe a course like AlcoholEdu should NOT be a requirement for entrance to a state-run academic institution.
 
Post a Comment


. . .