. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, June 27, 2005


Learn to say no?

Everyone hates
military recruitment. It's totally different from, say, every other kind of recruitment in the world, and it just shouldn't happen.

UC Berkeley senior Ankur Garg, whose father is an Air Force engineer, said that although he grew up on a military base, he is bothered by the military's pressure to enlist.

Although his career plans do not include military service, Garg has received recruitment-related mail in the past.

"If I want a job, I can apply to the military as I so choose," he said. "I sure as hell don't want them recruiting."


I agree. Just think of all the pain and suffering he's had since someone asked him to work for them.

Here's an editorial on the subject, also justifiably outraged that people should be put into the position of having to say "no" to recruiters.

Recruitment officials say this will help make recruiting students into the military more efficient. Of course, it hasn't crossed their minds that perhaps the reason they can't seem to reach their quotas is that they're waging a costly and unpopular war. Writing dangerous and unethical laws to circumvent this issue is not the way to go about solving a problem.

Apparently it didn't cross the editorial-writer's mind that these aren't really related issues. Even if students were willing to join the military, it doesn't hurt to be more efficient.

In spite of claims that the data will only be used to place irritating calls to your home, the military can distribute it to nonmilitary organizations, such as law enforcement, state tax authorities and Congress.

Oh, no! Now the tax authorities will know who I am! I've been taking steps to avoid that! On an unrelated note, I filed my taxes earlier this year.

Oh, no! Now Congress will know who I am! Once they know who I am, they'll... uh... pass a resolution?

Oh, no! Law enforcement will know who I am! I've never had to identify myself to law enforcement authorities before! This is terrible!

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 6/27/2005 10:57:00 AM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .