. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Saturday, November 20, 2004


Some stuff

I'm bored, so I'm going to complain about liberals.

Well, I don't like the "liberal" label, so I should be more specific. This past election, in what may be a result of my being in the Bay Area, I was shocked and disappointed by the sheer unwillingness of many anti-Bush types to simply listen to what the other side was saying. Not agree, just listen, and understand what was said. I'm a pro-Bush dude. Still, I can tell you the anti-Bush arguments. They aren't very complicated. Some of them are quite moving, some are not.

However, the response from the anti-Bush folks to the pro-Bush folks was astounding. I couldn't even comprehend how some of the responses were even referring to the pro-Bush arguments. The pro-Bush folks were saying things, and the anti-Bush folks were responding to something completely different.

Gay marriage is a great example, even if it doesn't quite line up with pro-Bush/anti-Bush. The pro-gay marriage argument is easy to understand. "Gay people are people, too, and should be able to get the same recognition from the government as straight people do for their commitment to their partner." All of my conservative pals understand that argument just fine. They aren't moved by it, but they know what it is and respond to it.

Here's an anti-gay marriage argument: "When I got married, it meant a certain something beyond just two people getting together. By recognizing marriage as simply that, it cheapens my marriage." Now, this argument has plenty of flaws you can point out, but screaming "HOMOPHOBE," "CHRISTIAN TRYING TO IMPOSE HIS RELIGIOUS VIEWS ON EVERYONE ELSE," or "IGNORANT SOUTHERN HICK" does not do that. Yet the response seems to be completely along those lines. The pro-gay marriage folks heard "I hate gay people," for some reason, and reacted accordingly.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 11/20/2004 10:59:00 PM #
Comments (2)
. . .
Comments:
Even though I believe that the anti-gay marriage argument that you've cited does constitute an appropriate response to the pro-gay marriage argument, I'll give you another one anyway:

"Those who engage in incestual relationships are people, too, and should be able to get the same recognition from the government as non-incestual people do for their commitment to their partner."

If you have a problem with that statement, then your support for gay marriage is hypocritical.
 
interesting. that incest analogy is a very clever argument
 
Post a Comment


. . .