. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, April 19, 2004


A look back

I've almost graduated and stuff. I think this is supposed to be important. For me, it's not, because despite graduating, I still failed to escape Berkeley, as I'll be going to grad school here. Still, it's worthwhile to take a look back at four years of amazing life.

Well, okay, let's make it two years. I can't remember my first year at all, and can barely remember my second year.

The best way to approach "looking back" is comparative. I should compare my college experience at Berkeley with my college experience at other universities. Oh. Wait. That won't work. Well, I guess I should compare my college life experience with my life experience as an old man. Ooh. That won't work either. Maybe my life experience as a slightly younger man. Except that I don't have a memory that reaches back that far. That makes looking back rather troublesome.

I've learned that people can be cool, if they don't try to be people. I've seen people who try to live "lifestyles," and they're the most annoying and boring people I've ever met. But people who are happy just trying to live and such, and don't worry too much about living up to an identity, those're cool people.

This is why blog people are not cool. As bloggers, we're supposed to live up to identities. So all of a sudden, folks'll get pissed at you for no good reason (I'm looking at you, Hugo and Tom). It's simply crazy. I wasn't born with all the right answers, and, like any normal person should do, I ask questions when things don't make sense. But no, no, we're supposed to already have opinions to hammer down everyone else's eyes, I suppose. Not that they'll listen, of course, but still, if you aren't an inflexible ideologue, well, you're just an asshole. (Yeah, I thought that seemed counterintuitive, too)

Still, Berkeley has provided me with a first-class education. Like most first-class educations, my first-class education is probably going to turn out to be a job-getting tool, rather than a on-the-job-using tool. Which also seems pretty counterintuitive, but this one's worked out in my favor, so I won't question it too hard.

In summary, my four years can be encompassed in one simple word: "Meh."

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 4/19/2004 02:48:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .