. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, January 26, 2004


Column Review

All four Daily Cal columnists have put out their first columns, so I may as well say a few words.

Gina Merlone, flitting from topic to point to other topic faster than Jesus's secretary, is certainly misplaced. We arleady have a sports section, and the sports section has its own columnists, which is where she belongs (if she can compete, which she probably can't). Zero stars.

Jia Jung is our Sex on Tuesday columnist. While I'm not really SoT's target audience, it's nice to see someone writing about something other than "how to have sex," which is what we've dealt with for the past few years. There's more to sex than instruction, and if you want instruction, just read older columnists. I don't have any stars to hand out, as they're pretty damn hot, but if I did, I'd give her one.

Faith Stein is returning, for no good reason that I can see. Her complete lack of willingness to even try to understand her fellow humans is a personal affront to me, also for no good reason. I was actually quite satisfied to see a suprisingly sound argument for why men should be able to demand abortions from one Gardner Andersen. Not that there was any alternative, but she gets zero stars, too.

Amina Sutherland-Stoltling is this semester's hope for interesting columns, though that's what I said about Faith Stein last semester. Despite her idiotic picture, I'm looking forward to reading more from her. As many stars as I have (0).

What's missing is, of course, the Y chromosome. Everyone knows interesting columnists are either male or think like a man.

The guest columnist spot looks potentially promising, although it clearly depends on who they pick. Also, changing columnists in mid-semester is a great idea, especially with this semester's landscape. So cheers to Henry Lopez (or whoever's responsible) for trying to improve the opinion side of the paper. Lord knows The Daily Cal isn't getting by on its spectacular news coverage.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 1/26/2004 03:11:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .