. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, October 27, 2003


And, to close of Monday Marbles

It's Mack time! Stupid things he said (some possibly in conjunction with Daily Cal editorial practices):

"...women yelling from balconies instead of telephones."

In America, women yell from telephones. Wait. No, they talk into telephones instead of yelling from balconies. Or maybe Mack's referring to when someone calls for someone and a woman answers and shouts for that person... that's yelling from telephones.

"...Cairo experienced a slow decline, ravaged by unwinnable wars, ballooning in population."

Geez, who taught this guy English? Parallelism? Hello? Ravaged and balooning are not the same verb form. Weren't you the one complaining about the lady who couldn't pronounce Arab? Learn some English yourself.

"One of the kids opens my mother’s door unexpectedly: I follow my immediate instinct to scream and lock the doors, but my mom plays it cool. It turns out he only want to say “hello.” Everyone laughs at my pesky fright, which makes me realize I’ve been harboring a stereotype: my inner orientalist sees the kids of the third world as unpredictable beasts."

Can you believe that Mack is trying to pass off his fright as being a result of American-bred distrust of the Third World? I, too, would be frightened if Third World kids opened my car door, but that's because in America, when a bunch of kids surround your car and opens your car door, they're not there to say hi. Being scared of strangers opening your car door is a legitmate fear in America, and has nothing to do with a bunch of starving kids in Egypt.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 10/27/2003 02:20:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .