. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Monday, August 18, 2003


Woo Woo!

Mo Kashmiri, Chief Advisor to Student Regent Matt Murray, gets his picture taken in his arms-crossed-in-front-of-Sather-gate pose in the
East Bay Express. He doesn't have as many quotes as you'd expect, from a story about him, but here are some various quotes from various people, since I don't feel like a full complaining session:

First, though, let me say "SCREW YOU ALL!" to those professional students. It's not like suing is going to cost the university anything. It's the rest of the students who end up getting screwed. I'm actually a big fan of professional school fee increases, because it means Mo has to pay more, and I don't like Mo. Badness for Mo makes me happy. HAPPY!

"I was, like, 'Hey, that's not legal! They can't do that. '" Well, if people couldn't do things which weren't legal, we wouldn't really need courts at all. I'm not a law student, and I know that.

"Educationisaright.org." Says............ you? Right now, the university is on my left. So it's not a right. It's a left. But platitudes are cool. Come check out my new website, "Rapeisaright.org." (Beetle Beat. Making rape jokes since 2002)

"The biggest problem isn't even at the UC," Kashmiri admits. "It's the CSUs and the community colleges who are taking the real big hits. There's a lot of students in the CSUs and the community colleges who won't be back." And to solve this injustice, I'm going to sue so that the CSU's and community college students will have to pay even more!

Finally, what really rankles the students is that they don't think paying more tuition will necessarily benefit their particular programs. "This money is being taken out of law students, but it's not going back to the law students or the school," Cohen says. "It's going to the General Fund. It's going to Sacramento to buy new furniture for the chancellor's office, for all I know." Or it's going to law students or the school, for all you know. But since when did anyone claim that the higher tuition was for better services? It was to offset a money shortfall. Only. I haven't heard anyone claim differently.

"In the meantime, Kashmiri, who describes the students' legal adventures as "terribly fun," seems to enjoy the irony of using his newly minted lawyering skills to sue the very education system that taught him how to file a brief." That is ironic! And it's strange that you claim to be fighting for our rights, but also claim that you're doing it for fun. Woohoo! You sound like me, now.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 8/18/2003 10:35:00 AM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .