. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Wednesday, August 27, 2003


Blog War!

It's thinking time! Woooo!

Over at my second favorite Berkeley blog (my first being... umm.... mine),
Rebecca C. wants to see a replica of that big block of rock with words on it called "The Ten Commandments" moved away from government buildings and such.

I remember this issue. It pops up every few months (or days) in various places. It actually came up in my hometown of Manhattan (Kansas, for Beetle Beat newbies) shortly before I left for college. (It's too old to go digging up the articles from the Mercury, our local paper) The block was eventually moved, I think, after being first turned sideways, then hidden behind some bushes. One of the more convincing arguments came from a clergyman who appealed to what everyone else was appealing to (how they felt about it, not the law or the Constitution), by saying "I wouldn't want to see a slab that read 'There is no God' next to my city hall."

Feelingwise, I agree. Legalwise, I keep missing the argument.

The government is supposed to be secular. Fine. Why, however, does a secular government need to have no religious symbols in or near any of its buildings? Why is it such a problem for nonreligious (or non-Christian, in this case) citizens? If it's not preventing participation in government by all faiths, and it's not causing persecution of particular faiths, why is it an abomination?

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 8/27/2003 01:47:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .