. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nap Time!!!

Friday, August 01, 2003


The Beetle-eyed view, a Prologue

I first heard about Georgy Russell in my local collegiate newspaper,
The Daily Cal. (although to call it of collegiate quality right now would be a stretch) I saw it, and I thought "Wow, how fun. Maybe I can call her a sexist." (Yes, that is how I think) Well, luckily enough, she said just the right thing: "As a woman, I love to see more female role models where women take stances on political issues." My first severe problem with this sentence was that it had poor grammar. "...female role models where..."? But then, it dawned on me that she had started off the sentence "as a woman." Aha! Victory! Any sentence which starts off with "As a woman" is clearly sexist, since it tries to restrict women to a certain behavior which could be called "appropriate," and has the same horrible implications which accompany the word "unbecoming."

I filed it away in my "little jokes which I guess were only funny to me" folder and moved on. But then, on a fateful day (Saturday, July 26, to be exact), something terrible happened. Google noticed.

Strolling over to my counter which I check on occasion, my readership had suddenly shot up from a measly 10, to a slightly less measly 48. "Whaaa?" said I, discovering that I had a huge number of hits from people looking for information on Georgy Russell. Apparently, Google hasn't forgotten my ever-so-slightly more prolific blogging days where 150 hits wasn't too uncommon for me, and still has me ranked as the number 5 or 6 search result for Georgy Russell.

After this, fate was sealed, and I approached my destiny with a mixture of triumph and trepidation. "Give the people what they want," said one of the voices in my head. And so was born: Georgy Watch.

posted by Beetle Aurora Drake 8/01/2003 03:38:00 PM #
Comments (0)
. . .
Comments: Post a Comment


. . .